Why are Americans so stupid?
After the (suprising) popularty of my article Why are Americans so Fat? I decided to expand my theory to investigate this rather ugly stereotype “Why are Americans so Stupid?”
Please remember!: I consider myself to be an American, and I am merely trying to understand the hostility that seems to exist towards us/them from people living outside of the United States.
Let us begin with examining some reasons why any people could potentially be accused of being stupid :
1) The people of the USA are the fattest human civilization on the planet, which is currently an undeniable fact. I have a strong sense that a fair proportion of human beings associate overweightness with stupidity.
2) American consumerism appears to agree nicely with the state of the people. America has the largest food and drink portions, not to mention the largest cars, yards, houses, shopping centers, grocery stores, and automobiles. The fatness of Americans seems to coexist flawlessly with the goods and services of the nation. Again, fatness and excessive consumption may be associated with stupidity.
3) The USA appears to initiate war without properly understanding the situation. A classic example was the non-existence of Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq, and the subsequent invasion of Iraq, a country which was never and is still not affiliated with Osama Bin Laden or Al-Queda (who infamously attacked New York on September 11th, 2001).
4) The people of the USA re-elected the leader who made #3 possible.
5) George W. Bush, merely by expressing himself verbally, has caused many foreigners to doubt his intelligence and hence that of the entire nation. “Bushisms” is a good term to Google.
6) Combine #4 and #5 and it’s a major recipe for mockary.
7) McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, Wendy’s, and other fast food restaurants were all founded in the United States. Most of these chains have spread to the rest of the world. Anyone who eats at them (x person from x country) is reminded that a) This is American food and b) It’s bad for me, but I like it (but deep inside I blame America). If that person is ever criticized for eating at McDonalds, he will probably defend himself by saying “I don’t usually eat American Food but I needed something “big and greasy”. Just by eating at this restaurant the negative American stereotypes are enforced and passed on. If that same person ever was to become significantly overweight, there is a good likelihood that someone will either call him an American, or tell him to stop eating American food (or both). The same could apply to any kind of American product, media, or cultural idea that is harmful or fattening.
However, I believe there is a greater concept in action here. The list above is only a starting point for calling Americans stupid. It wouldn’t be enough to “justify” calling Americans stupid.
However, America is one of the richest, most affluent countries on Earth. That is the last straw, the turning point that makes it ok to call Americans stupid.
People don’t generally trash-talk another country or people unless they feel it is safe to do so.
As an example, several African countries endure a great deal of infancy death. Children are dying from simple diseases such as E.Coli, leading to diarrhea which leads to fatal dehydration. These people are in a desperate situation, but nobody trash-talks them because it would be VERY un-funny and disrespectful to do so.
Calling the American people “stupid”, on the other hand, is fair game. There is no excuse for Americans to be stupid, ignorant, or misinformed about their health and about the world. This, at least, seems to be the attitude of the world.
Again, as stated up top, I am not interested in trash-talking anybody. Rather, I yearn to understand these negative attitudes geared toward the American people.
Enjoy the New Year!